Friday, March 5, 2010

Second Week Success!

Well, this week went great! The students are becoming very self-sufficient and they are also so helpful to one another, I am extremely impressed with them and their progress.

A few things that had to be adapted this week were:
1. I have a student that will be missing the final week due to reasons out of her control. This student has very supportive parents and we don't want her to miss out on this experience.
Because Kirk is overly accomodating to the students, he has arranged for her to have a laptop,
headset, etc. available to take with her so she can continue working on her DBR (he also
spent time showing her how to use it). One problem was that she won't have access to her
school account so he put everything she would need access to on a memory stick (pictures,
etc.) that her mom purchased to make this possible. We have given contact numbers in case
help is needed as well.
2. The student that I have adapted this assignment for has made pictures out of plasticine and
we've taken pictures of them and have started her DBR as well. She spent quite a bit of time
today practicing reading her summary with her EA and then to me. Next day, we will see
how she does with reading into the headset!

Something I learned this week!
I have mentioned before how I had them do a rough draft. Before they can add it to their DBR, corrections need to be made. I discovered a student had gone ahead and recorded around three audio slides without making any corrections, so Kirk, Arlene, Vicky, and I have to check before they do another audio session to avoid this or if their entire rough draft has been checked and initaled, they can go ahead with all audio without checking with us first.

One helpful thing I used today!
I had made a chart out at the beginning entitled- I NEED HELP!. I hadn't used it up until today but quite a few students needed editing checked as well as computer help so we pinned it up in the lab. The students would sign it if they needed help and then there is also a spot for the helper to initial once that particular person has received the help. I felt good about this because I knew I was being fair and helping the students in the order they needed the assistance and it also gave the students the opportunity to help each other as well. They felt pretty good about themselves when they got to inital the chart that stated that they had helped someone else. ( I hope this explanation makes sense!)

P.S
Quite a few students have made items out of plasticine and/or drawings. We have taken pictures of them and they are able to get them off of students shared. They are getting so good at copying these to their folders! Yay, progress!

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Nickel... YOU ROCK!!!!!
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,

    You are right...for some reason the paragraph titled "A few things that had to be adapted for this week were" is not formatting properly. The rest of the post looks awesome. Did you use bullets for this section...it almost looks like the paragraph is being formatted as bullets.

    Another item to add to items students have used is a webcam. One of the students recorded a video using a webcam today and added it to their movie. Arlene helped the student with the webcam :-)

    ReplyDelete