Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Wow! What Have I got Myself Into???

As excited as I am to be doing this project with my class, I am worried that my computer skills are not quite up to par. It is a definate learning curve for me but I know the end results will be worth it.

After checking out Andrea's blog (impressive) I got a little nervous about what I had got myself into. Kirk and I e-mailed back and forth about what our first meeting (with the students) would consit of. When we finally met with the kids on Thursday, February 4th, it went well and the students appeared to be excited-yay! We did this first session in the class and discussed with them (mostly Kirk) what we would be doing over the next 3 weeks.

Arlene (computer savvy expert at Wagner), Kirk, and I sat down and had a short meeting after this with to brainstorm some ideas and see which direction we'd be going form this point. I do have 2 students that I am needing to adapt for and I really want them to take part to the best of their ability.

We had another meeting the following week to discuss more of the details of this project and I was a bit overwhelmed (and hungry -should've eaten lunch) afterwards. This is where I committed myself to creating this blog page! During this week my students also worked on a rough draft, of their report, that I will post on this blog page. This, I hope will help them them sort through their thoughts as we go along! They are also adding extra ideas onto their outlines that they would like to use (plasticine, pictures, drawings....) on their digital book report so they don't forget.

3 comments:

  1. Susan, posting your rough draft document is a wonderful idea. This was a nicely organized way for the students to begin writing down their items for the book report. Another document I hope you post is the break down of steps. I believe your suggestion to break the recording steps into Introduction, Summary, etc. was a wonderful change to the process. I have not spent a great deal of time working with elementary level students and did not clue in that a breakdown would be necessary. This helped me to better undertand what elementary levels require to make it through the recording stages...not too much at a time, break it into sections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome to technology Susan! I am a blog junkie! I think it satisfies my stalker tendencies!

    Good luck with your digital storyboarding! I will be interested in reading how it goes for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations is taking on this challenge. I think the skills both you and your students will develop in this project far out-weigh the anxieties you maybe feeling and the traditional need for a "perfect finished product". Could other studnets in the division provide your students with feedback on their stories?

    ReplyDelete